Monday, February 4, 2013

My First Quilt

This is my first quilt in 15 years.  One of my goals for retirement is to make all my children and grandchildren a quilt..........maybe many quilts.  I had to start easy because I wasn't even sure  I could remember how to cut fabric.  Luckily enough after staring at the fabric and thinking to myself I need to square the fabric up, it started to come back to me.  I wanted to start a very simple quilt so I would be successful, I wanted to have fun.  I did!  I started with a strip quilt.  This is no big accomplishment and after completing the quilt and searching on Pinterest, I realize I didn't need to follow a pattern, but I did.  I used a very old book called "Sew Fast...Sew Fun...Sew Easy! The book is by Cindy Taylor Oates, Taylor Made Designs.  You can find it here.

I made the strip quilt hanging on the back of the book.
 
I first went to pick out fabric. 
 
 
Oh what fun I had picking out package for my littlest granddaughter.  This picture was taken with my IPad 2 so it is not the best.  But I loved the fabric.  It was so much fun to work with.
 
Here is the completed quilt...............so cute!  I even did the unthinkable, I quilted it on my machine.  A first time ever for me.  Of course it was super simple, I just did straight stitching 1/4 inch from the seams. 
 

The fabric on the back is my favorite.  Perfect for a growing princess!  Now I can't tell you the name of the fabric (I didn't know enough to check!) but I will from now on.
 
I have since learned that using a Jelly Roll would of accomplished what I did without all the cutting, but I look at it as a learning experience!  My strips were cut at 3 inches instead of the 2 1/2 that Jelly rolls measure.    I purchased 1/3 yd of each of 8 colors (used 3 times each), 1/2 yard for the binding and the backing and batting.  My finished quilt measured 42" x 60." It is the perfect lap size quilt and small enough to easily quilt. 
 
It is a snow day here...........so a quilting I will go!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment